Step 1: Install Google Chrome
The first step in making Cortana use Google instead of Bing is to install Google Chrome. If you already have Chrome installed, skip to step two. To install Chrome, go to the Google Chrome website and click on the download button. Follow the on-screen instructions to install Chrome on your device.
Step 2: Set Chrome as Default Browser
The next step is to set Google Chrome as your default browser. To do this, open Chrome and click on the three dots in the top right corner. Select “Settings” from the drop-down menu, then scroll down to the “Default browser” section. Click on “Make default” to set Chrome as your default browser.
Step 3: Install Chrometana Extension
Now that Chrome is your default browser, you’ll need to install the Chrometana extension. This extension allows you to redirect Cortana searches to Google instead of Bing. To install Chrometana, go to the Chrome Web Store and search for “Chrometana”. Click on the “Add to Chrome” button and follow the on-screen instructions to install the extension.
Step 4: Configure Chrometana
Once you’ve installed Chrometana, you’ll need to configure it to redirect Cortana searches to Google. To do this, click on the Chrometana icon in your Chrome browser. Select “Google” as your search engine, then click “Save”. Now, when you search for something using Cortana, it will automatically redirect to Google.
Step 5: Test Your Settings
To make sure everything is working correctly, test your settings by asking Cortana a question. If everything is set up correctly, your search results should now be from Google instead of Bing. If you’re still seeing Bing results, double-check that Chrome is set as your default browser and that Chrometana is configured correctly.
Step 6: Enjoy Using Google with Cortana
Congratulations! You’ve successfully made Cortana use Google instead of Bing. Now you can enjoy using your preferred search engine with Cortana without any frustration.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use a different browser instead of Chrome?
- No, Chrometana only works with Google Chrome. You’ll need to use Chrome as your default browser to make this work.
- Do I need to have the Chrometana extension running all the time?
- No, Chrometana will automatically redirect Cortana searches to Google as long as it’s installed and configured correctly.
- What if I want to switch back to Bing?
- To switch back to Bing, simply open Chrometana and select “Bing” as your search engine, then click “Save”.
- Will this work on all devices?
- This tutorial is specifically for Windows 10 devices. It may not work on other devices or operating systems.
- Is Chrometana a free extension?
- Yes, Chrometana is a free extension available on the Chrome Web Store.
Remember, using Google instead of Bing with Cortana is a personal preference. If you prefer using Bing, there’s no need to change anything. But if you’re one of the many people who prefer Google, following these steps can make your Cortana experience much more enjoyable.